Say hello to Jeff Hickman, RCDD, who joined the IBS team as a Consulting Engineer in 2015.
Every day at IBS, Jeff solves technology problems encountered by our clients, especially with inside and outside plant cabling.
In the ever-changing world of technology, Jeff relishes the work required to stay on top of the field. “I really love working to keep abreast of the latest technology and applying it in our solutions,” he said.
Hard work, dedication, and humility are hallmarks of Jeff’s distinguished telecommunications career. He proudly served our country with the Ohio Air National Guard, EIS 220th in Zanesville, Ohio, from 1978-2008.
Jeff, whose favorite saying is “You snooze you lose,” honed his work ethic early. His first job was delivering papers at 5 a.m. when he was in 8th grade.
During his military service, he was the Project Manager for Central Air Force Command and on an engineering team at overseas bases during Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. He was responsible for outside plant, premise wiring, fiber optic and copper backbone cabling, planning, designing, and budgeting.
In later roles, Jeff continued to plan, design, budget, and oversee complex technology projects. He engineered fiber ring solutions for commercial airports throughout the country as a contractor for the FAA. He turned around two Air National Guard projects during one contracting stint that were behind schedule and losing money, saving $300,000 in labor and material.
After retiring, as a contractor he also provided technical engineering, planning, consulting, budgeting, and installation of structured cabling upgrades at 10 Air National Guard bases.
His IBS colleagues describe Jeff as a focused, go-to, no-nonsense kind of guy whose easy demeanor earns your confidence. His work style—methodical, organized, thoughtful—reflects his military background.
GET TO KNOW JEFF
- Hometown: Dresden, Ohio
- Family femmes: wife Becky, daughters Andrea, Janelle, and Alaina
- Surprise service: coached middle school football for 12 years and middle school girls soccer for 2 years
- Credentials: Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration from Ohio University; Associate’s Degree in Applied Sciences from the Community College of the Air Force; Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) credential from BICSI, an international professional development organization for the technology industry
- Sweet hobby: gardening, canning homemade jam
- Favorite food: Adornetto’s in Zanesville
- Triple-threat theatre: “The Book of Eli,” “In the Line of Fire,” “Gran Torino”
- Weekend warrior: at auctions
- Must visit: Natchitoches, Louisiana, where Steel Magnolias was filmed
- Can’t live without: ice cream
GET IN TOUCH
Learn more about technology-planning services provided by Jeff and other members of the IBS design team.
Contact Jeff with your comments and questions.